Saturday, March 6, 2010

Cake Classes

So for the last 3 weeks I have been taking a cake class at Gygi's. We learned everything, the first class was all about make a cake, from how to make the cake, how to trouble shoot problems, to oven temp's etc. The second class was about making fillings and frosting's and learned how to torte a cake to prepare it for filling and frosting. We made a pastry cream, a strawberry filling, a chocolate ganache, and buttercream icing. The last class we put our cakes together and learned about piping and royal icing and cake construction. It was so much fun. I have wanted to take a cake class for several years and I finally found one that worked with my schedule.
This is my final cake, with drop flowers and dot design.


So we ended up with a Vanilla Bean Pound cake filled with pastry cream and strawberry's with a buttercream frosting.





My family loved it. In fact Jonathan said it may be his new favorite!

1 comment:

  1. Oh that looks so yummy!! I have always wanted to learn how to do fillings, you need to post that too!

    ReplyDelete